Gmail is one of the applications that nowadays have become a must-have for professional and personal life. The application has made our life and communication more accessible, so it has become mandatory on our cell phones. But what about on the computer, can we install it?
Although Gmail does not have a desktop application, there is a way to install Gmail as an application independent of the browser. This week at Rambox we explain how.
Gmail is the most famous webmail service in the world, with more than 1.5 billion users. With the development of new technologies, Google has created applications for Android and IOS mobiles and tablets. However, it does not have an official desktop application when it comes to working from a computer.
This means that many people can only access mail through web browser windows. Often, it would be much more convenient to have a desktop Gmail app, and, although not officially, there are five methods to use the app from your desktop, whether it’s Windows, Mac, or Linux:
- Using Rambox.
- Creating a Gmail shortcut.
- Linking your Gmail email to your Outlook account.
- Linking your Gmail account to the Windows mail application.
- Linking your Gmail account to the Mac Mail application.
Rambox is a workspace organizer that allows you to unify all the applications you want in one place. It is perfect for those who care about productivity while working with many business and personal applications.
Downloading Rambox is the easiest way to access Gmail from your desktop, as there is no need to configure Gmail beforehand. To work with Gmail from Rambox, you only need to follow four easy steps:
2. Click on “+ Add an app or workspace” in your main panel.
3. Type in the search bar the application’s name and click on it.
4. Configure the application settings to your liking, such as which credentials you prefer to use, which language you select the spell checker to use or if you want the application to go into hibernation mode after not using it for a specific time.
That’s it! You can now use Gmail without relying on the browser.
Using Rambox to work with Gmail from your desktop not only makes it easier to access the application but also makes it easier to access multiple Gmail accounts with different logins.
In corporate jobs, for example, it is common to have to manage several email accounts at the same time. With Rambox, taking advantage of the “profile” feature, you can set up as many Gmail applications as you need and work with them in one place. Forget the clutter caused by endless browser windows and quickly, neatly, and easily switch between your accounts.
Although Rambox is the best alternative to access Gmail from your desktop, you can also create a shortcut, but keep in mind that you will be working from your browser.
To create a shortcut to your Gmail account, follow the steps below:
- Open your Gmail account in Chrome.
- Click on the three small vertical dots in the top right corner of the Chrome browser.
- Click on the “More tools” option.
- Select “Create shortcut”.
- Assign a name to the shortcut and click create. Clicking this desktop shortcut will open the account in a web browser window.
Another option is downloading the Outlook desktop application and synchronizing your Outlook account with Gmail. To perform this process, you must first configure IMAP in Gmail. To do this, follow the steps below:
- In Gmail, click on “Settings”‘ in the top right corner.
- Click on the “Settings” option.
- Click on “Forwarding and POP/IMAP”
- Select “IMAP Access” and click “Enable IMAP
- Finally, click “Save changes” at the bottom of the page.
Once you have completed these steps, you must link your Outlook and Gmail accounts. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Download the Outlook application.
- In Outlook, click on “File”.
- Choose the “Add account” option.
- Enter your Gmail account address and click “Connect”.
- Enter your Gmail password and click “Connect”.
Once all the steps have been completed, you can use Gmail through your Outlook account, although you must remember that this option is only valid for using a single Gmail account.
The application integrated into Windows 10 as “Mail” allows you to access your Gmail account from the desktop. To set up your Gmail account in this application, follow the steps below:
- In the Windows e-search panel, type “Mail” and click on the application.
- Once the application is open, click on “Accounts” and choose “+ Add account”.
- Choose the “Google” option from the drop-down menu.
- Type in your Gmail account address, enter your password, and click “Next.” You will need to enter the code you receive if you use two-factor authentication for your Gmail account.
- Choose “Allow” for permissions.
You will then be all set to access your Gmail account from the Windows mail application. You should note that managing and switching between multiple accounts from this application could be confusing and tedious.
macOS’ built-in application, Apple Mail, allows you to use Gmail from your desktop. For Gmail to work through the Mail application, you must first configure your Gmail account to work:
- First, in the Mac Mail application, click “Add Account”.
- Choose Google as your mail account provider.
- Select “Continue” and click “Open Safari”.
- Enter your Gmail address.
- Enter your password and the code you receive if using two-factor authentication.
- Select “Allow” for permissions.
After completing these steps, your Gmail account will appear in the left sidebar of the Mail app under “Mailboxes.” As with the Windows Mail application, Apple Mail is a good alternative for managing a single Gmail account, but there are more effective options if you use multiple accounts.
Now that you know how Rambox functionalities and features can help you improve your productivity with Gmail, download Rambox, configure it to your liking, and enjoy all its advantages as soon as possible.
Any questions about the features of Rambox? Do not hesitate to contact us!